So I commissioned a woman artist, Beth Robinson, to make dolls of Ana and me to christen our new home. Robinson’s work has begun to be featured in galleries and written about in art publications. Not sure the photos do them justice — in person, they just rock. If you’re in the mood to commission a gift for someone, I emphatically recommend this artist (I’d catch her before she’s even hotter property) — visit her site here.
QUESTION — Have you ever been commissioned to write a poem — or any other art work? Are there any artists you recommend whose work you believe is worth supporting?
ADDENDUM — Film about the issues women artists face – (watch the very revealing trailer here), “Who Does She Think She Is?”
IN OTHER NEWS
* One poem per month featured at OPEN LETTERS – mine’s it for March. Click here to read “Cafe Town“!
* ELEVEN ELEVEN features three of my poems this go-round, “Dealing with Dogs,” “U.S. History” and “Read Me Like Braille” – enjoy!
* AFTER ELLEN gives a nod to Slaves to Do These Things this month!
* SO AND SO MAGAZINE sells my poems, “Tiny Tacos” and “Dali Dolly,” to you this thawing season~
* Caroline Wilkinson says some nice and tough things about Slaves over at NEWPAGES!
* HORSE LESS REVIEW #7 publishes Three Poems today!
* Video of me reading in “casual manner” at the QCC Faculty reading here.
* ASHOK KARRA, political scientist, tears into my poem, “State of a Nation” (originally up at Verse Daily).
Art Creative Writing Fashion Design Feminism Gender Politics Language Poetry Readings Sexy Women Writer alice in wonderland amy king Ana Bozicevic Art beth robinson doll goth poets strange dolls surrealism tim burton
AMY KING View All →
Amy King is the recipient of the 2015 Winner of the Women’s National Book Association (WNBA) Award. Her latest collection, The Missing Museum, is a winner of the 2015 Tarpaulin Sky Book Prize. She co-edited with Heidi Lynn Staples the anthology Big Energy Poets of the Anthropocene: When Ecopoets Think Climate Change. She also co-edits the anthology series, Bettering American Poetry, and is a professor of creative writing at SUNY Nassau Community College.
Love the dolls!
I write personalized wedding poems, so I am commissioned to write poetry. For more information, here is the link: http://wordarrangement.com/
I came to your website through the Poetics list.
Best wishes, Chloe’
These are very cool.
I was once commissioned to write a poem on mustaches, which I did in the style of Ogden Nash.
Yes..clever idea..brilliant dolls!
How cool to have house spirits.
None commissioned. One ‘forced’, though.